A few days before Thanksgiving I received a call from Janet, a girl who had worked for us over twenty years ago. She was visiting Atlanta over Thanksgiving and wanted to get together. We had lost contact years ago so it was such a pleasure to reconnect. She was the same delightful, beautiful girl we remembered and we got to meet her husband and her beautiful twelve-year-old daughter.
Janet looked adorable in a fashionably short mid-thigh gray dress, matching tights and boots. What made the outfit work so well were the tights. Proportion is thrown off by wearing bare legs with short skirts and boots. Tights not only give a finished look but there are many practical reasons to wear them.
- Tights add modesty to skirts that might otherwise be too revealing.
- Tights provide warmth.
- Having the same color extending from the skirt hem to the tip of the toe makes the leg appear to go on for miles.
- Rounded toes and thick platform shoes visually shorten the leg and add weight to the foot. Matching tights help minimize this effect by adding visual length.
- There is no age limit on wearing tights. However, I don’t recommend very short skirts for more mature wearers.
- Darker colored tights can minimize larger legs. It is important to keep a monochromatic color scheme.
- Tights work equally well with slacks as with skirts.
- This is one fashion item that doesn’t cost a fortune. They also make a great, inexpensive stocking stuffer.
Notice the difference between these two examples. The top model seems put together and her high boots blend with the tights, connecting the foot and leg to one long line. The second example appears thrown together. Her legs have three distinct visual breaks, making them appear much shorter. Her boots are almost too bulky for the lightweight dress the model is wearing.
This season, following fashion trends require attention to proportion. Shoes that project a great deal of visual weight need to be balanced with some bulk on the top such as a fluffy circular scarf .
Consider a gift certificate from Style With Aplomb for a little help in navigating these tricky waters of keeping up with fashion and doing it right! Contact www.StyleWithAplomb.com or call Beryl at 404-467-0288.